What Are Eco Friendly Lights?
Eco friendly lights are those that use less energy than normal incandescent lights and traditional lights and are lights that will last a lot more. The need for Eco friendly lights is very much the result of the increased cost of energy and with the need to consume less electricity. There are many Eco friendly lights that are available in the market and some of the popular types are compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and LED lights. CFL lights have been the most popular choice of peoples they are able to provide the same light as an incandescent light but while consuming much lower electricity. Some of the CFL lamps can produce light as much as halogen lamps will do and they are now broadly used places where there were big halogen lamps used earlier.
Advantages Of Compact Fluorescent Lamps
- Energy used by CFLs is a lot less when compared to traditional bulbs. They consume about 75% less power while providing the same amount of light as an incandescent bulb.
- CFLs do not produce heat as much as normal incandescent lamps and therefore will not have an effect on the air conditioning.
- CFLs will last for about 8000 to 12000 hours and that is much more than what traditional bulbs last. The average life span of traditional bulbs is about 750 to 3000 hours.
- CFLs can be recycled to reuse the mercury that is present in them and therefore they help the environment by energy saving and by reducing the need for new materials to make them.
- CFLs are available in a range of light colors and you can choose from the warm white light to the cool white light.
Advantages Of Light Emitting Diode (LED) Lights
- LED Lights are said to be long lasting. IF a quality LED light is used for 6 hours a day, it will last for 20 years before you will have to replace them.
- The lifetime expectation of LED Lights is 100000 hours and has an energy efficiency of about 80-90%. The loss of energy is at the max at 20% which is not found in any other light option.
- LED Lights are free of any toxic chemicals and are 100% recyclable.
- LED Lights are durable and can withstand tough conditions and can even function at very low voltage.
- LED Lights can operate in extreme temperatures be it hot or cold.
- LED Lights can be switched on and off repeatedly and it will not affect the lifespan of the light.
CFLS Vs LED Lights
LED Lights are the latest of the Eco friendly lights to hit the market and therefore are far more advanced than CFLs. The life span and the energy efficiency of LED Lights is more than CFLs which in turn is more than the incandescent lights. The power consumed by LED Lights is less than CFLs and they are a lot more durable and can be used in extreme temperatures. But LED Lights are far more expensive than CFLs and the initial investment is high. Both LED Light and CFLs are Eco friendly lights and they have their own advantages and disadvantages and selecting one of them is purely based on the requirements and the budget that has been allocated for the lights.